Re: Series Variacs

Original poster: "Jeffrey Wiggins by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jeffrey.wiggins-at-sympatico.ca>

Yikes!

I see many problems with your proposed arrangement.

Keeping in mind that I have only a limited understanding of this
stuff...here's how I would do it:

Assuming your 240V is single phase, I would use the neutral anyway - the
"bottom" of each variac
would be connected here - and, depending on local electrical codes, would
be tied to ground. The
"top" of each would be connected to each leg of the 240V supply. You would
then have to gang the two
such that the wipers each arrived at the "0V" and "120V" positions at the
same time. This way, the
output between the wipers would vary from 0V to 240V as you require.

Does this make sense, or am I completely "out of it"?

My C$0.02 worth (about US$0.013).

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>