Re: Spark gap electrode wear paper

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

It could be thermal conductivity related.  If the thermal conductivity were
low, and the rep rate is high, you would always tend to strike the arc from
the same hot "cathode spot", which would increase the erosion.  At low rep
rates, the temperature of the cathode spot has time to drop, so the sparks
wouldn't all fire from the same point.

Brass does have pretty good thermal conductivity.  Stainless is very low
conductivity.  I don't know about elconite.

You'd probably want something with high thermal conductivity, low mass, and
a high melting point.