Re: good mmc?

In a message dated 3/13/01 2:40:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Phase of SRSG is tested by stroboscope to be correct (on bench check of
>  coincidence of mains peak and gap closure) also phase checked using
magnetic
>  pick up throught full primary supply in operating configuration)
>
>  Tnx
>  Ted Linney in NZ

Ted,

Well, something is wrong.  The gap may be power arcing.
MOT's provide so much current.  You could try ballasting
the MOT if you haven't done that.   Did you try varying the
phase to find the setting that gives the best spark output
of the TC?   Using the strobe, I'm not sure if you're saying
that you adjusted the gap to fire when the input mains
is at a peak?  You need the gap to fire much later than
the mains peak because the cap provides about a 90
degrees phase shift.  Sometimes the gap needs to fire
at the zero crossing point of the mains AC, for a 120
(or 100) bps, sync gap.  This would depend on the
adjustment of the ballast (or internal MOT current limiting).

John Freau