Ganging 1256D's

Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

3/11/01

I have recently added a second Powerstat 1256D variac to my power cabinet.
They are identical 0-280vac, 28 amp, 7.8 kw single phase.  I have ganged
them together and wish to increase the power to 15.6 kw at 56 amps.  I also
wish the capability to just use one leg for occasional 0-140 vac output.

My question is should I hook them up in parallel or in series with one hot
leg going to each variac?  Seems if in series each will still be limited to
28 amps.

RWW