Re: Space winding question

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 10 Mar 01, at 12:55, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "D.Wightman by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <dwightman-at-mmcable-dot-com>
> >
> > I was wondering who could answer my question about space wound
> secondarys. Lets
> > say that you have a 12 inch secondary form, and you wind it with #
> > 18
> wire,"non
> > space wound" with 1000 turns. The H/D ratio turns out to be 4.5 to
> > 1.
> Then lets
> > say that you decide to wind another 12 inch "space wound" with 1000
> turns, and
> > the H/D ratio comes out to 6 to 1. Would the two coils resonate at
> > the same frequency? In other words would the tank circuit see the
> > two coils as having the same characteristics ? I am really stumped
> > on this one.
> >                                   Thanks
> > everyone.

> > -------- ----------------------------------
> >
> > "Nature has stored up in the universe infinite energy.
> > The eternal recipient and transmitter of this infinite energy is the
> > ether".
> >                                   Nikola Tesla. May 20, 1891.
> >

> Hi ...
>
> the frequency is determined by the length of the wire   altho... the
> self C of the secondary will change due to the space between the wire.
> So im gonna guess that since the self C changes and in conjunction
> with the top load, there should be a slight change in the tune point
> on the primary.
>

> Scot D

Cself will go up and L will go down. I thought we got away from the
idea of free space wirelength a long time ago.
     I did a rough calc: the shorter coil will resonate at the lower
frequency. L decreases faster than C increases.

Malcolm