Re: Ignition Coil as a TC Transformer?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/10/01 3:15:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Gary,
>
> The pulse width is used to control the power output. With the TV flyback I
> was using a duty cycle of 8% gave enough power to have an arc on the bottom
> of the flyback between some unused pins. At 10% duty cycle the thing ran
> flawlessly and put out an impressive amount of power.  The arc between the
> pins got a little arch in it and started to get some yellow and red. At 12%
> duty cycle, The arc between the pins started to dance like a Jacobs latter
> if it gets stuck at a point, and the output was very good. That is the
> ragged edge. At 15% duty cycle the IGBT blows. By adjusting the duty cycle
> the measured output voltage varied from 2KV to 50KV.
>
> I agree that a 555 can be used to directly drive an IGBT. Using the simplest
> of circuits, like Terry's TC tuner to drive one could be the simplest driver
> to build. Run it on 12V and either wind your own primary on the flyback or
> drive an ignition coil.

How are yall getting so much power out of your flybacks and such?I run mine
with the 555 timer driving a 2n3055 and with a 12 volt 4amp battery get
nothing from the flyback and get wussy sparks from the ignition coil.I have
also tried driving the IRF510 with the 555 and get same than using 2n3055.
Ikeep seeing this IGBT thing.What is this?(im new to electronics still)Where
and what kind of IGBT do i need?And what sucks is that my 555 was actually
working for seveal days with no probs until the output wires crossed and it
stopped working.

matt