Re: All pain no gain

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Ed, Nate, John C., All,

I calc'd JavaTC against your values. See below:

Tesla list wrote:

<Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>
> Bart,
>
> The idea of different programs producing different numbers is expected I
> guess.  It would be nice if we could rely on the programs to produce
> consistent results, within a few percent anyway.  I will supply the data on
> my smaller coil here and maybe others could run it on their programs and
> report back.  In this situation, I am solving for the primary tap point.
> Secondary: 3.0" O.D.  closewound,  winding length 13.1", #28 wire, using 72.7
> turns per inch
> Toroid capacitance" 18 pf
> Primary:  5.8" I.D., diameter of wire .10", spacing between turns .35" (not
> center to center - but actual clearance), flat spiral
> Primary tank capacitor:  .009 ufd
>
> I calculate the proper tap point should be 10.9 turns.
>
> Ed Sonderman

I used the above inputs except changing the primary spacing to .45" (actual
clearance
of .35 plus the wire size of .1") because JavaTC uses center to center spacing.
JavaTC shows 11.04 turns for the tap point and very close to your 10.9 turns.

All of our programs should be about this close to one another. Exactly the
reason for
my concern of the inputs Nate used. An underlying concern of mine is that the
calculator may be a little too complicated and/or confusing for new users.
Time will
tell. For example, if Nate entered a value of 0 for the spacing between
turns because
he figured it was a closewound coil? These type of inputs I suspect need
clarification for new users. I won't change the secondary spacing input
because it
serves spacewound coils, but clarification can certainly be added to the
program.

Nate, if you get a little time, let me know (off list) any troubles or
confusing
factors while using JavaTC. This type of info is really a big help for TC
programmers. I'm sure that goes for all other TC programmers as well.

Bart A.