Re: Mica (and turning)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Leik3-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi All,
I imagine that if it is pure mica (not the "particle board" stuff) it would
be extremely difficult to turn on a lathe as mica is a mineral with one plane
of cleavage (i.e. it will break along one plane, and many planes parallel to
it) so when the tool digs into it, it would likely chip off on the cleavage
plane. Now, I've never tried to turn the stuff but I have worked with it in
it's natural state and it's hard to just handle without it flaking off. It
would have to be high quality, mature mica for it to have a chance to work.
Interresting idea though......keep me posted if you do try to turn it.
-Dennis