Re: Capacitor to Transformer Matching

In a message dated 3/9/01 10:13:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Hey, I was recently starting my own coil, and I was wondering if a 10nf
30kv
>  MMC (10 caps of 3kv .1mfd in series) would work well with a 15/30 NST?
Here
> are
>  the rest of the specs:
>
>  15kv 30mA NST
>  30kv 10nf MMC (10 caps of 3kv .1mfd (the Hosfelt ones) in series)
>  SRSG 3600 RPM w/ 2 electrodes for 120bps
>  22 turn primary of AWG 6 bare copper grounding wire (tapped around 15th
turn?
> )
>  22" length (wound, actual length of ~26") 4" diameter secondary wound with
> AWG
>  28 magnet wire, for ~1600 turns
>  16" outer diameter 4" height toroid
>
>  Would this perform well? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking
> the
>  time.
>
>  ~Matt Segal

Matt,

Overall, the design looks very good, but I would use maybe
a 13nF cap, although the 10nF will work well too.  The 13nF
will keep the voltage on the NST a little lower which is good
for protecting the NST from tar breakdown.  I'm not sure if
you have enough primary turns, I didn't calc it.  If you did calc it or
use a program, then it's fine.  The coil should give a 39" spark
without using a step up variac.

John Freau