re:: "Q" - weird... Not so high ??

Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 4:57 AM
Subject: "Q" - weird... Not so high ??

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I was frequency sweeping my small coil's terminal voltage response and
> noticed something...  I am loading it with a 220k resistor and the 3pF HV
> (Tek 5100) scope probe.  I am driving the primary circuit from the
> wide-band low-Z amplifier.

Hi Terry,

I have noticed the same "low Q" phenomena when doing somewhat similar
measurements on my small coil at around 290kHz, but by manually sweeping and
plotting the frequency vs. output from secondary. Also, I used  a dangling
scope probe and wire about a metre from the secondary for the pick up (Don't
have a spectrum analyzer). My sig. gen. had a low Z output <50 ohms. When I
placed a 470 ohm resistor in series with the feed to the primary coil, I got
the expected  high Q peaks.
For what it's worth,  Chuck