Re: Racing sparks, streamer growth, coupling, etc.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/7/01 10:16:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 > > I don't think that "racing sparks" are related directly to coupling.
 >  > When the coupling is increased, there is no significant change in the
 >  > maximum dv/dt of the voltage waveforms, compared to what would occur
 >  > close to the end of the energy transfer proccess with lower coupling.
 >
 >  Why wouldn't the dv/dt be higher with more coupling? (having not done the
 >  calcualtions myself, I am lazy)... I would think more energy in the same
 >  time would imply more voltage at the Vpeak, so the dv/dt must be higher at
 >  any given time.
 >
 >  I don't think the dv/dt is much higher with better coupling, just that the
 >  max voltage the top load can reach is higher.

 Jim, Antonio, all,

Based on my experiences, the major contributor to racing sparks on the
secondary is overcoupling.  Other contributors would be poor tuning and too
much power for a given sized coil.  If the coil works fine at say 1kw input
and you change to a 3 kw power supply, you may well get racing sparks.  It
still should be possible to adjust the coupling for this coil to work at 3 kw
but the coupling may end up very loose.

Ed Sonderman