Re: Grounding Was: All pain no gain

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Comments interspersed

 snip
> Keep in mind that I've had this coil since last September and I've not had
> anything scramble, nor short out. I am using two rf filters on the
grounding
> cable but I think this might just negate the ground. Since I have been
> running this thing for some months, maybe, the ground is near the plug I
> use. I think the apartments are individually grounded.

Sounds good

snip
> Which do you think I should do?
>
> What about hooking the coil up to the faucet? I have a care about this
one.
> Something about mixing electricity and water.

It would probably work. I've done it before and it worked fine (but there
are also copper lines coming up for the water) I don't know what you've got
under your sink.

> Specs
> NST 12kv/60ma 700 watts?
> Dunno the output. is 3' streamers max.
> Secondary is 3.95" OD with 19.5" of wound area of 28 guage magnet wire.
> Topload is 12" spun toroid.
> Primary of 11 turns, flat, tapped at ~10 turns.
> MMC .013uF
> Static air cooled.
>
> --
>
> What about a double poled coil? I bet it would be infinately more
difficult
> to build but probably the ideal coil to build if you in my less than
> enviable position.

Actually a bipolar coil would work perfect. You can even just wind another
indentical primary and secondary and run them like is shown on Brian
Basura's page-
http://fp2.hughes-dot-net/brianb/images/Tesla/Mini-Twin/Twin%20Schematic%209a.gi
This would probably be the best way

> I am guessing that the length of such a double poled secondary would be
> double the length of the current one. (2 * 19.5" = 40 inches).

Just use two secondaries

> What about the toploads? Half sized or the same size? 40" - 12" would
leave
> 28" between the two. It would be a bit unwieldy. Probably better for me to
> ask if the water tap would work.
>
> Someone mentioned a counterpoise ground but I think there are wires under
> the floor.

A counterpoise ground works best in conjunction with another ground. It offe
rs capacitive coupling between ground and the counterpoise and increases
ground performance. probably wouldn't be best in your case (BUT I have had
success using several square feet of plain Al foil on the counter or table
underneath my small tabletop coil that I used to run, both with and without
other ground connections (the faucet))

> Not one to be daunted in my trying to follow advice I looked outside and
> found a metal pipe outside the window. I might be able to run a jumper
cable
> from the window frame to the pipe but I am worried about wires in the wall
> next to the frame. Might it not radiate RF? I also would hate to find out
> that the unused pipe goes near the water heater. Ba ba boom!!

I have used a stranded 12 guage Cu wire out my window to a metal awning
(sp?) for a small coil in my room. Tried using a fish tank once too, both
worked but there was enough EMI to turn on and off a touch lamp two feet
away in both cases, however my computer sat even closer and was left running
the whole time with no apparent effect on it!

> The only other alternative I can think of other than giving up coiling
till
> I can move next year would be tossing a wire in the tank on the commode!
> Ohhh wee! Wouln't want to sit on that!!

Me neither!

Jason Johnson