Re: Racing sparks, streamer growth, coupling, etc.

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 5 Mar 01, at 21:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>

> > Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
> >
> > > Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz
> > > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> > <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> > >
> > > I've been thinking about what's really going on in a TC during the
> > > first few half cycles, in connection with the spark growth.
> >
> > Just two comments:
> >
> > > 2) If the primary and secondary are very tightly coupled, the
> > > secondary voltage will rise faster, fast enough that the charge
> > > that is flowing
> into
> > > the top load can't be "absorbed" by the growing spark, so the
> > > voltage
> will
> > > rise higher.  If the voltage gets high enough, it will exceed the
> breakdown
> > > voltage along the secondary, causing "racing sparks".
> >
> > I don't think that "racing sparks" are related directly to coupling.
> > When the coupling is increased, there is no significant change in
> > the maximum dv/dt of the voltage waveforms, compared to what would
> > occur close to the end of the energy transfer proccess with lower
> > coupling.
>
> Why wouldn't the dv/dt be higher with more coupling? (having not done
> the calcualtions myself, I am lazy)... I would think more energy in
> the same time would imply more voltage at the Vpeak, so the dv/dt must
> be higher at any given time.
>
> I don't think the dv/dt is much higher with better coupling, just that
> the max voltage the top load can reach is higher.  If the spark forms
> earlier, it loads the secondary, reducing the amount of voltage rise
> as the charge moves into the secondary.  The spark can only grow so
> fast...  I'm working out a rough simulation, where the capacitance of
> the top load grows after breakout (assumed to occur at some
> predetermined voltage).

dV/dt can be significantly higher with increased coupling but
obviously depends on the degree of coupling. It is in fact the
changing slope of the secondary ring which gives rise to the
sidebands as viewed in the frequency domain and these move further
apart as k increases. dV/dt increases with k on both a per cycle
basis and on an average (rectified if you like) basis. Note to all
those non-believers out there - the sidebands are present if you view
the secondary e-field only - waveforms looking like a ringup/ringdown
generated by whatever means can be mathematically shown to have
dual/multiple frequency content. Although a tuned primary is part and
parcel of a TC it is not a precondition on producing what is
essentially a DSBSC envelope.
     But output voltage can also reach a higher value with the same
Ep and increased k as the primary gap is given less time to lose it.

It stands to reason that if the secondary attains some voltage more
quickly, dV/dt must have increased. Scope observations suggest that
the secondary pretty well rings up before a spark lets go in most
systems whether it is the initial discharge or part of a repetitive
train.

Regards,
malcolm