Re: SRSG Construction

In a message dated 6/28/01 10:20:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Rodney

>  > What is a good measurement technique to determine whether a motor is
>  > salient pole after milling the flats on the armature?

If the flats are about the right size the mod will work.  However
if the rotor is too heavy, then the motor may fail to lock sync-ly.
If it locks with just a lightweight rotor attached, but not the
heavy rotor, you'll know the rotor is too heavy,  sometimes
you can use 16% higher than mains voltage using variac to
make it lock, etc.   I use a cardboard disc on motor with a
black line drawn across, and observe under fluorescent light.
NOt electronic fluorescent though.

John Freau