Re: Working with Plexiglas

Hi all,
        My experiences of working with acrylic plastic/plexi:

Cutting: a hand hacksaw works OK but it is a trick to make sure it
doesn't wander off the mark when cutting tubing. A high speed
circular saw works quite well as long as the blade is sharp but can
take chips out of the side of the cut. Basically, you want a sharp
saw with a large teeth set so contact with the flat part of the blade
is minimised.

Gluing: chloroform or methylene chloride are the main solvents used.
A little plexi dissolved in the solvent helps do a minor filling job.
Too much can encourage bubble formation inside the joint. Solvents
always cause plexi tubing to craze in my experience. Superglue is
great if there are no gaps.

Malcolm