RE: Working with Plexiglas

Having spent a LOT of time working with Lexan (Plexiglass)we've found out a
few things. We've built the entire interior of Geek-3 from Lexan (Including
the custom dash and control consoles).

1. Recip saws suck, this includes Sawzalls, Jigsaws, etc....

2. Die-Grinders (Called a Whiz-Bang in the shop) work GREAT!

3. When using a rotary cutter, make smooth, even speed cuts. Too slow and it
will melt through and spray you with hot thin strands of molten plastic, too
fast and it will gall, jump, shuck and jive, cracking the plastic if it
happens hard, or jumping to the side and gougeing the surface.

4. Eye (and in the case of the die-grinder, Ear) protection is a MUST! The
white dust gets everywhere.

5. Cut with the leading edge of the disk going down and away from you. It
will fill your hair otherwise.

Have fun! Cutting Lexan is a pain, and I don't do it unless we have to. I
like working UHMW MUCH better :)

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek