Somewhat of a newbie..

Original poster: "spoonMAN by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hello all,
  I subscribed to this list a about 6 years ago when I
first became interested in coiling and kept trying to learn
all that I could about it.. however I couldn't keep up with
the sheer number of emails and the theory was rotting my
brain. With 2 years of college under my belt for Electrical
Engineering and a solid understanding of the theory, I
decided to give the list another try.

About 6 months ago I finally built my first coil. I've
since had ALOT of questions and I remembered that the best
minds colaborate on this list.. Anyway, my question
involves capicitors.. I started out using saltwater caps
made from beer bottles.. but I realized that I had no way
of knowing how much capacitance I had.. is there any way to
test them or is there some general default value per
bottle? I also ordered 4 caps vacuum sealed in a glass
envelope rated 12pF -at- 30kV each .. they're absolutely
beautiful.. each one is about the diameter of a soup can
and about 8 inches long.. will these work in coiling
applications? The glass envelope is about 1/4 of an inch
thick and the lugs on the ends are very hefty.. they look
like they'd survive a nuclear war...

When I was subscribed to the list way back when I happened
on a large tube labeled "Amperex 575A".. I asked around on
the list and I was told that it was basically a giant
switch capable of switching extremely large currents and
that it would be excellent for building a DC coil.. since
then I've come across anohter and the idea of using it is
more and more appealing.. can anyone tell me more about it?

Thanks for any help!

Ben McMillen