Re: simple question about ballast cores

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Scot, All.

*snip*

When it comes to inductors, you have to take into consideration the amount of
amperage flowing thru the inductor. Even tho a #10 can handle 30- 38 amps

*unsnip*

We plan to bifilar wind with #10. I believe we can push 20kVA through it
quite easily, we've already tested it (the wire) on a big trannie core, it
should be fine. If it fry's, we'll strip it all off and use something larger,
no big deal.

Have you ever used small steel wire as a core, with wire wrapped around it
for current limiting to a pig? I just need to know if that, specifically,
will work. I'm hoping so.

BTW, we plan to run no more than 80 amps input to the pig. 100A is just a tap
that will "be there", although we will probably do it anyway!!

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com
Webpage: www.hvguy-dot-com