>From 90 degrees to 180 degrees the cap ends up with a charge opposing the
current flow.  The flow from 180 degrees to 270 degrees adds to the flow
from the cap charge.  (I have seen someone's analysis of discharge times and
they concluded that a firing time somewhat after 90 degrees was best.)  In
any case, energy stored in the cap during one half cycle is not cancelled by
the next half cycle.  If far from resonance the capacitive or inductive
reactance will limit current.  If at resonance, the current is limited by
the series resistance and the voltage at the cap or inductor is proportional
to the Q (reactance of the cap or inductor divided by the series resistance)
of the circuit (and in our case the voltage is limited by discharge of the
energy in the cap via the spark gap into the TC primary.)

Regards,

Pete Komen

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 7:54 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: SRSG break rate

Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

This is my point exactly. With only a 120 BPS break rate, if voltage is
applied across the cap from the 90 degree point to the 270 degree point
without discharge, the cap is first charged positively and then negatively.
This gives a net charge of 0 between those phase angles. Under these
conditions it appears to me that half of the transformer power is being
wasted.