Re: SRSG break rate

In a message dated 6/21/01 8:38:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Bill,

The positive and negative peaks don't cancel because the positive
peak energy is used up in that gap firing or bang, to produce sparks.
Now the
energy is gone, and the cap is charged up again from the negative
peak, and then the gap fires, and the energy is used up again.
>From the point of view of the cap, it may as well be charged with
DC, and it can be considered that way.  Each firing is a separate
event.  If the gap firing was delayed so that the cap was discharged
and recharged to the other polarity before the gap fired, then what
you're saying would be true, but a coil doesn't work that way.
The gap must fire when the cap is fully or mostly fully charged
to a peak voltage.

I usually just phase up my sync gaps at low power using a variac,
then raise the power level gradual, rephasing along the way.  Some
sort of mechanical or electrical phase controller is helpful.  My
electrical phase shifter circuit can be seen at my website.

John