Summing up of Async Vs. Sync

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi List,

Right... from the numerous replies that I have got heres my impression of
the uses of the two different types of gap:

Sync seems to be the most logical type of gap. (Assuming UK 50Hz) A 3000RPM
motor with 2 contacts will give 100BPS, at the same time as the AC peaks,
which is logical. This way the caps will discharge as the peaks occur, which
is good, because it is the most efficient. It is also not going to allow the
caps to overcharge, and is better for a (very delicate) NST.

Async gaps allow you to vary the BPS. Since caps will charge and discharge
at the rate of the AC lne, then surely a Sync gap that is syncronised with
the AC line is the best option. I do not see why you would want to vary the
BPS when the charge rate of the caps can only occur at the AC line peaks and
dips. Surely the most logical option is to discharge the caps when they
peak, to get the maximum power through the primary, i.e. using a sync gap!!!

Really confused here
Jason