Re: Arc welder as ballast

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I'm using a "Buz-Box" brand 225 Amp AC stick welder,
which is certainly a first cousin of the Lincoln, if
not a twin.  The knob physically slides a couple of
shunts in/out of the core windows between the primary
and secondary windings.

With the welder leads open, the position of the shunts
has little effect, and the thing only supplies 7-8Amps
to my pole transformer.  However, the welder ballast
is so efficient that spark length is still pretty
good.

With the welding leads shorted together, the thing
pulls lots more amps, regardless of the knob setting,
and the sparks are longer and thicker.  How many amps?
 I'm not sure, but I have not yet tripped the 50A
breaker.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg