Re: MOT arc

Hi,

When you hook the battery to the primary it charges the primary coil with a
lot of current.  When you suddenly break the primary circuit, the sudden
zero current condition causes a voltage jump due the the inductance (V= L x
dI/dt).  Then the secondary just multiplies that.  So the energy that was
stored in the coil's inductance as current, suddenly got converted to
energy stored as voltage (a LOT of voltage :-)).

This is the same way the induction coil in a car works to fire the spark
plugs.  It is often reffered to as the "inductive kick" effect.  Guess
where they came up with the work "kick" :-))

Cheers,

	Terry