From: <mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>Tesla list
Date: Friday, June 15, 2001 07:20:15 AM
To: <mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: First Light- Bad Results!

Original poster: "Hans Scholze by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<hanscs-at-eagle.ptialaska-dot-net>

Jake,

I can sympathize with your trouble finding NSTs, but have you tried looking
for oil burner ignition transformers (OBITs)? I don't know about your
location, but where I'm from (Kodiak, Alaska) just about everyone heats with
oil. Whole furnace units frequently show up at the dump/scrapyards with
good OBITs on them and most plumbing/heating services will have a pile of
them which they don't reuse because of liability concerns. I happen to be
lucky - the father of one of my friends from school owns a heating service
so I hace access to a huge pile of OBITs, many of which work fine. OBITs
are great for small coils, and if you stack them in parallel you can get a
respectable ammount of power. I recently finished a OBIT-powered coil that
works great. I am getting about 30" of streamers from two transformers and
I plan to add more. I have heard that they are unreliable and prone to
failure, but have never had any problems myself.

About your coil: I have never had much sucess with very small coils.
Before my current coil (4.5" x 18" secondary) I built a number of small one
and two inch coils but could never get more than 5" sparks from them. No
one else has mentioned your spark gap. I have foung that a good gap makes a
HUGE difference in performance. You should either spread yours over at
least 3 - 6 smaller gaps in series of blast air through your single gap.

Also, a lot of people will probably tell you to get an MMC. I have one and
its great, but not necessary. I have had great results with bottle caps
also.

Others have already covered the other two weak points - your primary and
ground.

Have fun. I built my first coil sometime around age 13 also. Now everyone
thinks I'm crazy because I just graduated from high school and there was
footage in the senior video of me sitting behind my coil throwing 30" sparks
with a flourescent light tube in my mouth!

Hans