Re: first light - 2kW 4.5" coil - underperformance!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Joe, All,
      Now I'm the most farthest from expert person on this list, but I did
notice one thing.  I remember Terry telling me that I'd need 18nF for my
12/60 with a static SG, or about 33nF for an RSG. With your 12/184 you'd need
about 99nF (becuse (180/60=3 then  33*3=99)).
      I don't know if those 2 maxwells count for your total tank
capacitance, but lets say they do. you have two 30nf caps in series on one
leg ( the maxwell and your, (30/2)=15nF, and 30 on the other. 30 and 15 in
paralell is 45nf. Half of what you should have.
      Now lets say they don't count for the total tank capacitance. You only
have 30nf. Less than a third of the required capacitance.
      Either way, you need more tank capacitance. What I would do is
parallel all three of your caps for 90nf.

      List, tell me what you think...

Jonathon Reinhart
hometown.aol-dot-com/kidd6488/tesla