Re: need suggestions for general sizing in a multi coil setup

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/14/01 1:18:09 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> David,
>
> When I was using the asnychronous rotary gap, the coil performed well but
> did
> not run very smoothly - kind of hard to describe - large primary voltage
> and
> current fluctuations and occassional popping sounds from the rotary gap.  I
> use a .05 ufd primary cap.  It did like high break rates, the higher the
> better the performance.

Hi Ed,

 From your description of your coil running asynch, I would sware
that you were sneaking a peak at mine in operation :-) My coil
runs almost just like that, complete with the occasional popping
sound from the rotary gap. This is especially true for the first
few minutes of operation after dressing the all-brass stationary
and flying electrodes to smooth them up and remove the oxidation.
Maybe someday soon I'll get up the nerve to rebuild my rotary gap
for synchronous operation, it's just hard to tear down and rebuild
a system that already gives good performance (8 to 10 ft spsrks
in a 12 X 20 shop). And I'm a little skittish about trying to take
an electric motor apart and grinding down the rotor and then putting
it back together. I subscribe to the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it" :-)

David Rieben