Geek Good Deed, and Teslathon

While driving to the lab last night (I come home for a late dinner) I passed
"Cliffs", the new store on the corner and heard a familier sound, just
rather out of place. It was an arc, and a loud one at that. I turned Geek-3
around and parked in front, originally thinking their new neon sign was
junk, but terribly curious.

It was the bug zapper.

The wire feeding one of the grids was arcing to the other grid, maybe a
total of about 1CM, but I heard it half a block away, lol. Tesla trained
ears I guess. This thing was higher frequency (didn't LOOK like a flyback
tranny inside), and wickedly annoying.

I unplugged the light and told Cliff I'd be right back. I drove the 2 blocks
to Sigma-6 and grabbed a toolbag (why I don't carry one in the car I have no
idea) and sat down with Cliff on the picnic table in front of his store.

Within 5 minutes I had a crowd of half a dozen people and was explaining the
fundamentals of the operation of a bug zapper (which I had learned myself
about 2 minutes before, never having had oppertunity to take one apart :) ).

A couple crimp connectors, 2 bits of NST-HV lead, and some tape later Cliff
was amazed (at a bit of chimp work any newbie could have done), and wanted
to do something nice for us in return. So I asked for a Sprite :)

He is also donating his services to cater the Geek Teslathon. They have
great ribs, tips, and wings :)

It's good to be Geek.

The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the
exercise of his mind.
     - Jacques Barzun

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1