Re: Hello world!

Original poster: "christopher carsten by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ctom-at-toast-dot-net>

If you really wanted to save$ or just want to experiment then you can get
away just about for free. The only things that I have had to buy for some
decent coils are neon sign transformers and maybe copper tubing for the
primary. For a cheap first coil one could use pvc or even an old mailing
tube as a secondary form (just bake out the moisture and seal it really
well) and a plate glass or beer bottle capacitor. Don't expect 5' arcs from
such coils but it is a fine "hands on" intro to coiling . These systems are
educational in that you get to see how a cap works, not just wire a bunch of
components together on a piece of lexan. For secondary wire one could buy
wire or
salvage wire from another transformer, the latter is of course much more
time consuming. There are plans everywhere for coil setups, just pick one in
the range of size, cost and time spent and improvise. I have built coils in
a few evenings for under 100$ that demonstrate quite well how tesla coils
work, I have also spent months and $$$ on coils that were better but not as
satisfying to construct. Find a goal, ask questions, build it, fear it and
build more as your ideas begin to flow and your addiction sets in.
hope I have helped,
Chris
As a mechanic once told me : "cheap" "good" or "fast"... pick two. (:-P)