FW: coil discharge color

Original poster: "John Morawa by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <morawaj-at-interaccess-dot-com>

I made a Jacobs ladder using a 15kv 30ma NST over the winter.  I tried
playing
with different compounds to alter the color of the arc.  I noticed that
table
salt disolved in water and applied to the rods worked extremely well and
created
a very nice orange arc.

I also have a tesla coil that is powered by the same size NST.  It throws
about
3' arcs into the air.  I had the same idea and put a nice coating of the
salt
water over my toroid.  As I recall it only affected the color of the arc at
the
point of origin on the toroid.  The rest of the streamer was the usual
color.
A little dissapointing but oh well.  I believe Michael hit the nail on the
head
with his comments.

John M.