Re: portable TC ~

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

> > Hi, While surfing the web, I found this 9/30 that runs on 12V-at-6A:
> >
> > http://www.amazing1-dot-com/profneon.htm (scroll to the bottom)
> Probably one of those electronic types. I don't think those are usable in
> TC's.

Yup. They are electronic. The problem with using them is that they
will die VERY easily if the output side is overvolted, much more
easily than linear NSTs. At least this is what a local neon sign
worker told me. AFAICT this overvoltage problem is true.

The electronic NST output may also be RF frequency, non-rectified, to
light up the tubes more easily. So for TC use you'd have to add some
external diodes. Which, in fact, will help to solve the overvoltage
problem. :o)

One other "problem" is that they cost quite much if you take into
account that they are so sensitive. Maybe some scrap yard has already
some of these lying around, so you could test first if they will work
any considerable time in TC use at all...

ANyway a standard linear NST, even though it is a LOT heavier, would
be a better alternative. Or if you want to use the car battery, then
look for TV flybacks and search the internet for "tv flyback driver
schematic". TV flyback max power output is well in the range of small
NSTs (linear & electronic), up to maybe 150W can be possible.

 - Jan