Line filters, etc

Original poster: "Kp2 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kp2-at-wvi-dot-com>

I'm curious as to what attenuation to design my mains line filter for. I
want to build a resonate band-pass (60Hz, of course...), but I'm not sure
whether to build a 1-pole, 2-pole, etc. I'll have to work in the reactance
of my transformer as well, so it only looks like a resistive load, so that
means the filter might have to behave as a PFC as well.

Anyone have any ideas for this?

Oh, Terry, before I forget. You mentioned the use of a variac. Suppose I
get some frequency/phase drift as a product of the natural tolerances of
the components. Could this potentially kill a variac? My physics teacher
mentioned that a large inductance can cook one (And I suppose he's right),
but what are my chances of inducing a large current on the line?

-Jon Strauss

Connection Reset By Beer
Kp2-at-wvi-dot-com || kp2-at-firest0rm-dot-org