Re: No responses yet! Fw: Air core toroid...

Original poster: "David L. McKinnon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DMsHV.DavMcKin-at-verizon-dot-net>

Michael,

Basically, it's just a straight solenoid formed into a circle, and so the
calcs.
are all the same. Imagine taking your secondary coil, and forming it into a
circle, this is exactly what happens.  Wheeler's formula works out very
close
even under these conditions! To find the equivalent length of the solenoid,
take
the Overall Dia. of the donut and then the diameter of the center portion.
Add
these together and then divide by 2.  This gives you the length of the coil.
This is same length as the regular length normally used in the calcs.  Use
the
radius of the cross section as the radius of the solenoid (same as you would
normally).  Use the typical straight solenoid (wheeler's) formula for calc.
the
inductance.  Hopefully I explained this clearly, please e-mail me if I
didn't, or
if you have any questions.

David L. McKinnon
D&M's High Voltage