Re: Freau's efficiency theory=Success!?

In a message dated 6/8/01 10:15:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> ajjrice-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>  It's just an idea but in my experience 'wattmeters' do not cope well with
>  inductive loads as they assume current and voltage to be in phase, for
>  example if you measure an inductively blalasted strip light with an
ordinary
>  wattmeter you will find that a 20w tube only 'draws' about 15w which kina
>  violates conservation of energy. I am not trying to belittle the efficency
>  of this coil i am merely suggesting that the efficency could be due in part
>  to a lower than reality power reading.
>
>  Respectfully
>
>  Alexaner Rice

Alexaner,

I do not think that wattmeters need to have
the current and voltage in phase to read the true watts.  This
is what makes them a wattmeter.... they measure the real
power rather than the apparent power.  For this reason they
are well suited for inductive and capacitive loads. It is true that they
can be fooled under some conditions however not by an out-of-
phase condition.  If you multiply the reading of an ammeter
and a voltmeter you'll get the apparent power or VA assuming
the power factor is less than unity.  If the power factor is
unity, then the wattage and VA will be the same.  There may
be some cheapo "wattmeters" out there that are not true
wattmeter perhaps.

John Freau