RE: DC tesla coil

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Kamil

A DC tesla coil is simply one powered by DC pulses. Otherwise the design of
the tesla coil is the same as usual. A simple design of a voltage doubler
can be found http://hot-streamer-dot-com under Greg's garage. But you would have
to scale up the ratings of the components. If your homebrew transformer is
already putting out 13KV/300MA, then I would not brother making a voltage
multiplier circuit. You already have plenty of power for a good tesla coil.
Put the transformer under a non-detergent motor oil, or even better
transformer oil. This will greatly aid in insulation and heat sinking. If
you use a matching capacitor, you can control excessive voltage coming from
resonant rise by correctly setting safety gaps across the high side of your
transformer. My hat is off to you for making your own HV transformer. Using
a DC pulsed power supply does aid in preventing HV kickbacks to your
transformer, but you would have to use diodes with a very high voltage
rating of 100,000V or more. These type of diodes are difficult to located
and are very expensive. The only place I have found them is from rectified
x-ray transformers.

Godfrey Loudner