Re: Freau's efficiency theory=Success!

In a message dated 6/5/01 7:15:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Other than 61" sparks from 1080 watts !!!,  the only thing that stands out
>  from your spec is the measured VA.  3220 VA sounds very high,  implying
>  that the power factor is quite poor.
>
>  When I tried 100BPS sync here in the UK,  I got poor spark growth for
>  some reason, but the power factor was very good.  I wonder if there is
>  another phase setting of the rotary that would give the same real power,
>  (and spark performance,) with a current draw below 23 Amps ???  John Freau
>  might be able to comment further here ???

Richie, Jon,

I like to have the PFC in place before I run the system.  This way I just
adjust the rotary so the NST watts and VA are very similar.  I've actually
done very little testing without PFC, so I'm not familiar with that
setup.  I vaguely remember that the addition of PFC cut my VA draw
to less than half in some of my tests.

>  There is nothing really wrong with this setup,  but the NST windings are
>  seeing more than FOUR times their intended current !   If you added PFC
>  capacitors you could drop the line current by about 75%,  but it would do
>  nothing to stop the NST from sweating :-(

I thought that adding PFC would stop the NST's (over-current) suffering.
Am I understanding this wrongly?

Cheers,
John