Re: Freau's efficiency theory=Success!

Hi Jon,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jon Rosenstiel by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jonr-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Hi John,
>
> I tried your method but for some unknown reason had trouble. (The
> coupling values didn't progress in a orderly fashion as I raised
> the secondary, the numbers were all over the place). The problem
> may have been my signal generator, it's a surplus Navy audio
> generator and doesn't have  real smooth control of the frequency.

My calculations suggest the generator is off by about 4 to 6 hz (low). No
big deal.

> The method I did use was to apply about 10A of 60Hz  current
> through the primary and measure the voltage across the secondary.
> Terry Fritz described this method in a post  "Best Method to Find
> Coupling Coefficient"
> dated Thu, 27 Nov 1997.   For me this method is very repeatable
> and I feel quite comfortable with the results.

Very good! I've done this myself several times. It is reliable and
repeatable. My experience here
is to use a current limiting device which remains stable over the period of
measurement. I've used
high watt resistors (I have in my possession a 10 ohm, 3500W resistor -
kind of BIG) and several
other devices. The limiter which remains stable is a hair dryer. Yep, odd
but true. The hair dryer
reaches a temperature stability due to the current though the heater coils
and the air flow over
the heater coils. Similar to why sparkgap behavier is "stabilized" with the
right amount of air
flow in a static gap. Although accuracy should increase with greater
current flow, a hair dryer can
typically provide about 10A and does pretty well.

> Jon

Hope your flight isn't work related. I use to travel 60% of the time and I
know the pains of travel
for a job and trying to keep up with the Tesla List. I'm glad to say that's
a past life.

Take care,
Bart Anderson