RE: mmc-type cap use question and coiler location

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Jason

I have a 1uF/2000VAC MOT cap. Suppose you have a 12,000VDC source from a
rectified NST. String 6 of these cap in series for a 12,000VAC rating. The
capacitance of the string is (1/6)uF. Charging the string  will store
(0.5)(1/6)(1/1000,000)(12)(12)(1000,000) joule = 12 joule of energy using
the classic formula E = 0.5CV^2. A conservative amount of energy that will
crush a quarter is 4800 joule. Then you need 4800/12 = 400 strings connected
in parallel to get 4800 joule. That amount to 2400 MOT caps!

Godfrey Loudner