The ultimate Tesla Demo for the Geek Teslathon

As the finale performance at what is to be the inaugaral Geek Group
Teslathon (June-30/31) at Sigma-6 the Project Sam Tesla Coil will be retired
through the use of massively overpowering it to the point of flaming
catastrophic electroscructural failure. We're going to intentionally drive
it to meltdown :).

This is an excellent oppertunity to measure and test the breaking points on
a Tesla system. There will be copius video and stills taken, and EVERYONE is
welcome to come and take as many measurements/observations as they like.
It's a rare treat in the Tesla Community for someone to intentionally
perform destructive testing on a Tesla coil.

The basic plan is to build a large batch of SW caps (I'm not hammering the
CD's with this, though I believe they could take it, the risk is to high)
and fire up the 10kVA Pig. We can supply 350+ volts from the variac to the
Pig (rated for 240) and will simply ramp up the voltage until the coil
meltsdown.

The plan is that, without a safety gap, the coil will perform better than
ever before, for the few seconds before the racing arcs start. Then the
racing arcs will eventually burn through tracking the secondary and
igniteing the coil from inside. Beyond that, who knows, but it should be fun
to see, and rather educational.

The Sam project will be permanantly retired as we move on to the 2 larger
coiling projects this summer. We will build another 6" coil in the next
couple weeks for use in our daily demos, and save most of our existing sam
support systems. But the original Sam coil, the Group's first, is to be
torched at the Teslathon.

Come and see the sparks! :)

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1