Re: Can Anyone ID This Transformer?

In a message dated 6/2/01 11:43:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Here's my latest aquisition. It's a big transformer
>  with several taps. The thing measures 9-1/2" wide by
>  6" deep by 12-1/2" tall, and weighs 65 pounds. I hope
>  to use it for ballasting my pig, thereby sparing my
>  225 Lincoln Arc Welder from further torture.
>
>  Does anyone know what it may be from, or the rating?
>
>  http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer1.jpg
>
>  The label is at:
>
>  http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer2.jpg
>
>  thanks
>  Adam

Adam,

My guess is it's a plate transformer of some sort.  The label
seems to suggest a 2400 volt output, and a 120/240 volt input.
Current rating of 800MA.   Nice for a big tube coil, perhaps
with a level shifted (ac doubler) power supply.   It should be
beefy enough to work as a ballast.

John Freau