Re: 1/4 HP sync motor power

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Terry, all

I used a 1/3 HP split-phase motor foir my SRSG.  It drew about 5A (while
the TC remained unpowered).  For grins and giggles, I added a 50uF cap
across the motor, and the current dropped to 2.3A!  After some
experimenting, I decided that the cap reduced the overall wall-current draw
by more than adding it to the NST's PFC (total of 250uF for 15/90).  I left
it across the motor.  I'd use PFC across the Geek Group's big SRSG I
designed, but like you said, it will interfere with John's phase controller
that we'll be using.

I can't see any reason why a motor should not have any added PFC.  The caps
merely phase shift the lagging current so that it more closely matches the
voltage sine wave, thereby lowering the apparent power drawn
from the wall.  The power company installs PFC caps on the overhead (or
underground) "HV" lines to attempt to negate the inductive loads and power
lines.  In a large industrial setting, the PFC caps are often on sight
next to the BIG HV transformers on their side of the power co's meter.....
In a REALLY large substation, a HUGE electric motor is often used as a
capacitor (the things I learn from a $.25 book from my alma mater....).....

Mark Broker
The Geek Group's Chief Engineer