Re: sync motor :-( update_2

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/29/01 12:13:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi Jonathon,
>
> >At 11:31 PM 7/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >In a message dated 7/28/01 11:16:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
> >

> >People Have said use a variac. Is that necessary to get the voltage jsut
> >right? Not for phase shifting, just to get it to sync.
> >

> No. Not at all.  The motor should easily sync from 80 to 140 VAC so no
> variac is needed at all.  It "should" easily sync up just of the 120VAC
> wall outlet.
>

> >I know, I was hoping this would be easy...
>
> I should be easy, but something strange is going on here.
>
> If this motor is reversible or has connections in it that can be moved
> around (like the wires under the AC input plate) I wonder if one of those
> wire is connected wrong.  Is it possible some wire or connection is on
> wrong?

   No, There are only two connections, and I'm using, for now, a two-prong,
NON-polarized plug.

> Is there any chance it is psyching up and working fine but the RPM meter or
> strobe disk test was wrong in any way?

I don't think so. The RPM meter is pretty accurate, and it was staying right
near 1725.

> I am running out of ideas...

me too. 0:-\

> Cheers,