Re: sync motor :-( update_1

Hi Jonathon,

At 10:27 PM 7/28/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi again,
>      Ok, your replys on that cent. switch made a lot of sense to me. So I
>popped the motor apart again (after 6 times, one gets pretty good at it :-\)
>and looked at the contacts on the motor, and the centrifical switch on the
>rotor. Both looked good, but I still cleaned them up.
>      Also, when taking the motor apart the first time, I noticed a seal or
>something laying on my work area. I couldn't figure out where it went, so I
>put it in the housing end, in what looked like a seal area. I guess it didn't
>go there, because that was what was causing some of the heat, and -100 RPM. I
>know this because this last test, without the seal, didn't get hot, and was
>clocked at 1725 RPM.

If this is a plastic ring, it could be part of the speed switch.  There is
sometimes a plastic ring between the rotating part and the fixed parts to
act as a wear surface or bearing surface between the parts.

>      I know the switch is good, because I saw it spark as it kicked off.
>For those of you not keeping up, this motor has flats, yet is running at 1725
>RPM (what it is rated at).

Oh!  That is a real good sign that it is working!

>      I also did the carboard circle thing with flourecent light, and it is
>noticeably out of sync. Do I really need a variac to fine tune the voltage?
>I'm not worried about phase shifting as of this point. I just want this dang
>motor to run sync....

Hmmmm.  It almost has to work.  I am running out of ideas here  0:=|

>      Also, a couple questions:
>
>      1) would a 1/2" x 6" lexan rotor be ok?

Probably.

>      2) what can I do about excessive endplay?

I went to the "water faucet" section of the hardware store.  There are tons
of little rings, gaskets, and other nice things that could be used to shim
the shaft ends to remove the end play.  Today's faucets have hundreds of
parts and everyone makes their's different.  This provides many great
little parts at the hardware store.

>      3) what kind of supports should I use to hold the stationary
>electrodes?

Strong insulated ones :-)

>I'm sure this thread will live for a while  :-D

There may be a change the windings have a short in them somewhere or there
is some other defect in the motor.  Was the motor working well before you
started?

If it was not so heavy, you could ship it to me and I could take a look at
it.  I am very interested in finding what could be the problem here.  Sort
of a mystery...

Cheers,

	Terry