Letting the smoke out of a Terry Filter

Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Howdy all,

Well, I couldn't wait to play with my new three horned sucker gap, so away I
went. Couldn't get it to work real well, it seems my trigger circuit isn't
firing reliably. So I decided to see how the THSG worked as a multi-static
gap. I was tuning away, when I looked over I saw smoke rising from my Terry
filter!!

So Terry, do you have the values for the MOV string and so on? So I can see
what is left. I'm sure the power resistors are ok. Digikey is gonna love me
:-(

Before the smoke session, I noticed the sparks were getting close to normal
length, but were much less intense, and were softer and more snake-like than
normal. Sort of waving about instead of mad jagged bolts. Any ideas what
causes this behavior?

Thanks, yet again again,

Jonathan Peakall