Re: Triggered gap questions

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

jonathan,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

> Howdy all,
>
> Started messing with a triggered gap last night, and I realized I didn't
> know how they are supposed to act. With no caps in circuit, power arcing
> only, should turning off the trigger extiguish the arc?

yes when the triggered pulse is shut down the arc should also shut down.

 Should the arc go
> from sg electrode to the trigger 'ode and then to the other sg 'ode, or once
> fired should it cross the sg 'odes only, and skip the trigger 'ode? My
> trigger 'ode was getting hot, fast.

the arc does use the trigger electrode as a jump point, it hits it then
on to the other main electrode it seems. i use carbide electrodes and a
fan to help cool them, brass would get pretty hot without a fan

> What about setting/tuning TSGs? Set the gap just far enough that the nst
> alone can't fire it, or wider or what?

how i set my gap is i start the triggered pulse, start the main tank
power, then i shut the triggered pulse off. if the arc does not shut
down i open the gap up, make sure you have safety gaps on the nst's for
this because once the gap is set properly and quenches, the safety will
fire.
i've ran allot of power through a gap with just a muffin fan on it so a
good vac isn't always needed.
for mounting the trigger and main electrodes i have found that the glass
neon tube standoffs work well, but if isolated i would think an aluminum
stand could be used to help sink the electrodes?
this is a wide open field so i foresee many designs coming about and am
looking forward to seeing them.
marc m.