RE: Pole transformer ballast

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hello Steve

Look around for a big arc welder from the old days---the kind that were used
to do very serious welding. I found one at a junkyard for $20. I removed a
transformer that must weight about 250 lbs. The transformer has a
multi-tapped secondary with a 240 volt primary, and it is current limited by
fixed shunts in the core. After mounting the transformer on casters, I have
a big ballast that I can easy move around. It handles my two pigs and two
x-ray transformers with graceful ease. The big old-time welding transformers
can really handle a lot of current through their primaries. Hard to believe,
but the ratings plate says that the transformer can operate at 437 degrees
F. If you find such a transformer for a good price, then you will have extra
money to spend on a tank cap made from MMCs.

Godfrey Loudner