Pole transformer ballast

Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

I am thinking of using an arc welder as a pole pig ballast. The cheaper welders
(e.g. Lincoln AC-225)  that I have seen appear to use a multi-tapped secondary
with resistive current limiting on the primary. If so, then I question whether
using one of these would be much better than simple resistive current limiting.
The more expensive welders appear to use a crank mechanism to move the primary
and secondary of the transformer with repsect to each other. This seems much
more desirable as no resistive current limiting is involved. Does anyone know
for certain which welders use the movable transformer core method? I think that
Miller and Century do this but I am not sure. This entire ballasting issue is
proving to be my most perplexing problem.