RE: Primary Strikes, how serious/bad?

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I'm still on the wrong side of the learning curve to
offer any reasons for this, but one of my mmc bleed
resistors gave up it's smoke DURING a primary strike.
As to the reasons...

I admit to having used a cheaper resister than I
should have. I was running 7 strings of 14, with a
14.4/25kVA at around 5 kVA.

I know for a fact that with my small coil, at higher
powers, once an arc reaches the primary, it rarely
lets go. This requires me to either momentarily turn
off the power, or to let it rip. I found out the hard
way that letting it go for a while, can ruin your
primary supports.

See:
http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/tesla/disasters.htm

Of course, if I had had a strike ring, it's supports
would be just as vulnerable, and I'm sure a strike to
a grounded ring would NEVER let go.

Adam

=====
Adam Minchey