Trashed Tertiary Coil

Original poster: "Paul Arrowsmith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <p_t_arrowsmith-at-hotmail-dot-com>

After tuning at low power I powered up my Magnifier at full power (3.5KVA)
for the first time with reasonable results, may of needed some minor fine
tuning and a bigger top capacitance than the 700mm (27inch) one.
  Was feeling pretty good about it all when a couple of arcs curled around
from the toriod and doubled back onto the tertiary about 1/3 up from the
base and trashed the tertiary coil by permanently shorting several windings
in two locations.
  The tertiary is 720 turns of .71mm (SWG #22) enamelled copper wire wound
on a 160mm (6.25 inches) diameter PVC stormwater pipe with 20mH inductance
with a 20cm (3/4 inch)diameter corona ring at the base.
  Using a non sync rotary with variable speed control (was yet to experiment
with series static gaps as well)and two .04uF caps in a equidrive circuit.
  Has anyone had a similar experience with a magnifier or know how to avoid
the output discharge from killing the tertiary coil?
  I don't know if I can repair the damaged coil yet, I may have to wind a
new one?, so I don't want a repeat performance of tertiary coil destruction.
  Hope some one can help.
  Paul A