Spark Gaps

Original poster: "CJ Moore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wizard1234-at-home-dot-com>

I recently acquired both my transformers and the capacitor that I plan on using
in my next coil. In order to test them out I made a Jacob's ladder with the
transformers, but since I don't have any type of electrical tools. I couldn't
test to see if the capacitor was working etc. I made a really basic version of
what I consider the non coiled part of the tesla coil (no primary/secondary
coils). All it is, is the 2 transformers the capacitor and 2 screws. I wired
them all up and plugged it in. I got a spark that was very bright. (the screws
are about .25 inches apart.) Also it was extremely loud. I yanked out the cord
after probably 1/5 of a second, but my ears were ringing and I could smell
ozone and burning wood. (it was mounted on 2 pieces of wood). I was only a few
feet away from the circuit, but I was shocked at how loud it was, much much
louder than my other coil. I am using 2x 9kv 60 ma transformers (in parallel)
and a .03 uf 35kv Maxwell cap, and hv wire rated at 35 kv in the circuit. Is
there any explanation as to why it is so loud, will it be any quieter if I use
a RSG, or an air blown static gap? Also, I was curious as to how loud other
peoples coils/spark gaps were.

Thanks
CJ