Re: Spark Gaps

Hi CJ,

A cap connected just to the NST may ring up the voltage really high.  If you
hit the 60Hz resonant point you can get like 80000 volts!  that will blow
something up so be careful.  When the cap arced, was there anything to limit
the current?  If you have 20000 volts but no inductor and no resistance, the
current will be super high.  20000 volts into 1 ohm is 20000 amps.  That will
be loud :-)  Super high current like that can damage the cap too.  Best to add
an inductor to act as a current limit.

Cheers,

        Terry